As I was driving to the fly-fishing exhibit yesterday, I was listening to XM's 70's station. Chicago's Old Days came on and triggered a lot of fond memories that I have associated with that song. I know that I am not unique so I have a few questions:
1) What was your first concert and what do you remember about the concert?
2) What is your favorite band/artist and what is their best album and single (not necessarily from the same album)?
3) What song or artist is on your mp3 player that people who know you would be surprised by said song or artist?
1) My first concert was Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic Tour. I remember skipping school and going over some kid's house (who I didn't know) with some friend and getting "ready" for the concert (I'll leave it at that). The other thing that sticks out was there was a person passed out on the floor and others just circled around the person and continued to watch the concert (this was before The Who concert in Cincinnati) so it was a dance concert (no seating in front of the stage).
2) My favorite band is The Beatles but I am going to list my 1A band: U2. Growing up in a mostly Irish neighborhood in Greater Boston there was no question that U2 rivaled The Beatles (who all had Irish ancestors). My favorite album by U2 is War (Joshua Tree a smidgen behind) and my favorite song is One.
3) There are plenty of songs on my iPod that I would have a lot of explaining to do if my friends knew they were there; however, I think Barry Manilow would cause the most grief in my crowd. The song in question is Weekend in New England and I heard it in Paris when my wife and I were there with the kids. I had heard it before then but being in the City of Lights with the woman I love talking about our "neck of the woods" struck a nerve. I could not get the song out my mind and sang it to my bride as we walked along the Seine River on the way to Notre Dame Cathedral. There I did it and now I am out of the Barry Manilow closet and so let the fun begin! Howard I gave you crap awhile ago but your heart shaped rock so you should be the first person to return "fire" on me about this one. Oh just in case this gets back to someone I know I am deleting the song after this posting and will blame this posting on a child who did not get their allowance during sometime in the past. :)